Sunday, August 29, 2010

The Mysterious Benedict Society

The Mysterious Benedict Society
Trenton Lee Stewart 

When I got this big, chunky book from the library, I couldn't wait tear into it.  Needless to say, I wasn't disappointed.  Juvenile fiction has been and always will be my favorite genre because the author is forced to be concise, clever and adventurous.  And I don't have to muddle my way through bad language or romance cheese (unless of course you're reading those vampire book).  

The Mysterious Benedict Society's action centers around four children with some odd talents -- such as the gifts of being contrary (I too currently have that gift), resourceful, good at solving riddles and speed reading.  My favorite aspect of this ragtag group of kids is their moral integrity--a huge surprise for a modern read!

Twists and turns, riddles and adventures make this book so amusing.  The author uses foreshadowing excellently--I patted myself on the back a few times for "guessing" what was coming next only to be nailed by a surprise at the ending that I should have seen coming all along.  

No comments:

Post a Comment